Saturday, July 29, 2023

When family overlooks you...

l admit that there have been many events, whether they have been holidays or birthdays, etc., that my family (my kids, my husband and me) have not attended over the years. And I don't care if you are family, life gets in the way. But sometimes, its family that make the situation more unbearable. Like the time my brother-in-law looked me dead in the face and asked if we were going to have to put our daughter in an institution. Seriously??!!! Or the time that a grandparent slapped our daughter's hand because she touched the TV. Please be patient with a toddle that has Autism. Not cool. You don't lay a hand on my child without coming to me first!! Or, when you overhear a negative conversation about you. Being told the negatives of homeschooling your children, especially one with special needs, and that you are going to make them socially inept. Or when a niece directly tells you that you are harming your child and holding her back. I could go on about the many things that I have heard through the grapevine about my kids and my husband. After my husband's TBI, he cannot handle being around several kids at a time, loud noise, flashing lights. My daughter still cannot. She has Autism, extremely high Anxiety and OCD. Yes, we try to go to places like Six Flags with tons of people and enjoy a day here and there, but we do have days where they can't handle it and we have to turn around and come back home. Honestly, people fail to understand, or comprehend for that matter, what it means to raise a special needs kiddo that just cannot be put in certain situations. You don't force it because "they are family and we should be getting together". It really can make things worse for the individuals. 



But as I was scrolling through Facebook last night, I came across a post that my sister had shared celebrating my niece's (my brother's daughter) birthday. She shared the invitation that was sent out and several pictures of them having a nice time all dressed up. It was a girl's only outing and at a place that I have passed many times because we shop over in that area, and is literally 15 minutes from my house. So, to be so exclusively excluded, I was a bit disappointed.

The ones that constantly talk behind our backs are the reason why over the years I have continued to decline attending any type of event. The only time we hear from anyone is when they are having a party of some sort and want us to bring a gift or food. What about all the other days between? There are 365 days in a year.

Just another reason to re-affirm my decision to distance myself from family.  😑

No comments:

Post a Comment