Thursday, August 31, 2023

Xbox Game pass - Grounded: Just one setting

When you realize your graphics are set on low quality and thought that this was just the art style of the game. 😱

One evening while on a quest, my daughter starting reading something in the game. I asked where she was seeing that and she said on the white board right in front of us. I kinda laughed and said "Um, what. I don't see anything like that." My niece came across the mic and said the same thing. "I don't see it either." So, I come home from work one day and my son had been on my computer. He tells me that he wanted to see my game and to see exactly what we were talking about.

Well, it turns out that both of our graphics cards have only a small amount of VRAM - Video Random Access Memory. This differs a bit from regular RAM, Random Access Memory. Think of your PC as having to types of memory, static and dynamic. Static referring to things like your storage drives. While, these do not necessarily change, they tend to be used mainly as long-term data storage and retain their data even when power is cut. Dynamic memory is used by RAM and VRAM is used in real-time by your CPU (Central Processing Unit) and GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), respectively, to manage the workloads that you are currently running. It isn’t about data storage so much as active data management. 

As such, VRAM tends to directly correlate to things like maximum texture and model detail in games or 3D rending applications. He could not believe that we were actually playing the game and not being able to see certain details. He did some research and found that some others had been having the issue and changed one setting. And it made all the difference. Of course pictures cannot justify the changes, but you can definitely see a difference in the ladybug, and you can see the feather detail on the crow. Wow!




No comments:

Post a Comment