Sunday, August 29, 2021

College ... first week

I had to write an Intro for my Achieving Academic Excellence class the other day and post it on the class forum. LOL! I have actually had a few people respond with motivating comments. Starting on a positive note!!  

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer and I live in the Lone Star State. I am an avid reader (historical fiction and romance) and enjoy just about anything history-related, especially the Dark Ages and Medieval eras. When I am not reading and listening to classical music, I am usually on my PC gaming, working on my website, or blog. I have been married to my best friend for almost 22 years. I have two not-so-little kiddos, a son that is 21 years old and a daughter who is 17 and has Autism. I have always been a stay-at-home-mom and I have home-schooled the last eight years. My daughter graduates high school next week!

I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be enrolling in college at the age of 47, but here I am at Ashworth! I am currently in the Healthcare Administration program to obtain my Associate’s Degree. Five years ago, my husband suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury. He was in a brain therapy program for two years and tried his hardest to return to work. Little did we know he would have to medically retire and file for social security disability. My motivation leading me down this path is to hopefully be able to secure a better job for myself and my family, and to combine my administrative skills and passion for helping others, working with seniors in a nursing facility or assisted living community.

Personal strengths that I believe will help me reach my goal are being determined, versatile, perceptive, sensible, and organized. My Army platoon had a motto back in my military training days – “Motivation, Dedication, leading Young Guns to Graduation.” We were called Young Guns and we were probably the most messed up platoon ever. But with dedication and teamwork, we overcame one obstacle over another and we made it, and I hope to do that here as well.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to everyone on this college journey we have undertaken!! - Jennifer

 

1 comment: