Thursday, August 3, 2023

I LOVE Gymnastics

My love for gymnastics started at the age of three when my mom decided to enroll me in a gymnastics and tumbling class at R.D. Evans Recreation Center. It's here that l learned the fundamentals of gymnastics - from front/back rolls, somersaults and handstands, to cartwheels, leaps, and back handsprings. 

I would somersault and cartwheel through the house. LOL! I would use two by fours out in the backyard as a balance beam. And I probably hurt myself numerous times. It was on this day in 1984 that Mary Lou Retton scored her Perfect 10's at the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles 🥇



I remember telling my mom that I was going to be the next Mary Lou Retton. LOL! I was never in competitive gymnastics, only recreation gymnastics. When I was seven years old, I sustained a balance beam injury. It was a routine with a basic cartwheel dismount but my left foot came back down on the beam at an angle and slid off the side, the momentum slamming me down onto the beam, causing a straddle injury. Yep, this would lead me to my first visits with a gynecologist and urologist. Needless to say, recreational gymnastics pretty much ended for me afterwards, but I have forever remained a gymnastics fan. Every year I have to tune in somewhere, somehow to watch the gymnastic competitions. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment